This manual makes reference to and shows screenshots of various programs that we use outside of the vBulletin software. This section covers software we recommend for use that is tried and tested in working with vBulletin.
There may be times in vBulletin where you’ll be required to edit or make changes to PHP, html or JS files. Most operating systems come with one or more text editors. However, you may need more functionality than those basic applications. Here are some text editors that we recommend.
- Microsoft Visual Studio Code -
- This is a robust text editor with many extensions and color themes available. It uses the Electron platform as its base and is available for Windows, Mac OS, and Linux.
- Atom -
- Atom is the editor of GitHub. Built on Electron, it is customizable and full featured.
- Sublime Text 2 -
- Sublime Text is a sophisticated text editor for code, markup and prose.
- Notepad++ -
- Notepad++ is a free (as in "free speech" and also as in "free beer") source code editor and Notepad replacement that supports several languages.
- EmEditor -
- A text editor for windows and large files. This editor will allow you to open multi-gigabyte files with ease.
- TextWrangler -
- Is a code editor that is free for use in Apple OS X. It also has a big brother BBEdit .
- BBEdit -
- BBEdit is the big brother of TextWrangler. It has more features than its sibling. You can compare them here.
- GNU Nano -
- Nano is an easy to use text editor especially for both new and advanced Linux users. It enhances usability by providing customizable key binding.
While using vBulletin you’re going to need a way to get files onto your server, for this you will need an FTP Client. Most operating systems come with a command line FTP utility. However, you might want to use something with a GUI.
- Filezilla -
- Filezilla is a full featured FTP client that is capable of running on all modern operating systems. If you do not have a specific ftp client you like already, Filezilla ends up being the best choice for features, functionality, and cost.
- CyberDuck -
- Cyberduck is a libre FTP, SFTP, WebDAV, S3, Backblaze B2, Azure & OpenStack Swift browser for Mac and Windows.
- CuteFTP -
- The world’s favorite secure FTP client is better than ever. From mobility to global communication to top-notch SFTP-ready security, CuteFTP® does it all!
- WinSCP -
- WinSCP is an open source free SFTP client, FTP client, WebDAV client and SCP client for Windows. Its main function is file transfer between a local and a remote computer. Beyond this, WinSCP offers scripting and basic file manager functionality.
SSH allows you to connect to the terminal of your server. This is another utility that is available on most modern operating systems.
- Putty SSH -
- PuTTY is an SSH and telnet client, developed originally by Simon Tatham for the Windows platform. PuTTY is open source software that is available with source code and is developed and supported by a group of volunteers.
- vSSH -
- vSSH is advanced customizable SSH and Telnet client with iCloud connections and macros sharing.
vBulletin stores all of its data in a MySQL or MariaDB database. Being able to access the database directly allows you to create or restore backups and could be useful for fixing some issues. Your server's MySQL or MariaDB installation will come with a command-line tool that allows access via SSH. If you do not have SSH, then you'll want to use one of these tools.
- MySQL Workbench -
- MySQL Workbench is a unified visual tool for database architects, developers, and DBAs. MySQL Workbench provides data modeling, SQL development, and comprehensive administration tools for server configuration, user administration, backup, and much more. MySQL Workbench is available on Windows, Linux and Mac OS X. This requires remote access for your database server.
- HeidiSQL -
- HeidiSQL is a useful and reliable tool designed for web developers using the popular MySQL server, Microsoft SQL databases and PostgreSQL.
- phpMyAdmin - Web-based
- phpMyAdmin is a free software tool written in PHP, intended to handle the administration of MySQL over the Web. phpMyAdmin supports a wide range of operations on MySQL and MariaDB.
- Adminer - Web-based
- Adminer (formerly phpMinAdmin) is a full-featured database management tool written in PHP. This is a single file alternative to phpMyAdmin.
Sometimes, support will need to connect to your server. If you cannot make server access available via SSH or SFTP, then one of these methods may be used.
- Windows Remote Desktop -
- Feature available to Windows Professional, Enterprise and Server versions. Allows direct connection and control over other machines.
- TeamViewer -
- Establish incoming and outgoing remote connections for real-time support or access to other computers. Participate in meetings and presentations, chat with other people or groups, and make video calls as well. After downloading and installing this software, you will have your first session up and running within seconds.
- TightVNC -
- TightVNC is a free remote control software package. With TightVNC, you can see the desktop of a remote machine and control it with your local mouse and keyboard, just like you would do it sitting in the front of that computer. Requires JAVA for Mac and Linux use.
- GoToMeeting - Web-based
- Online meeting and screensharing tool that can be helpful in support situations.